• Critique a scholarly article.
• Integrate research studies to create a literature review.
• Present written information using standard APA style.
• Design a research project.
Using proper APA format, write a 500-word essay by responding to this prompt: The authors argue that a teacher can help students, but the student “must do the learning.” What do you think of this idea? How do you see your role as a student with respect to your instructor? What role does a teacher play in learning? Is there a cultural component to this attitude—that is, how does the role of a teacher vary in different cultures you know about? No research should be conducted for this assignment.
Resource: Adler and Van Doren’s “The Activity and Art of Reading” (pages 3-10) from Sound Ideas + Pop Perspectives
Review financial statements for Valley of the Sun United Way Web site located at http://www.vsuw.org/ and answer this question: What internal or external factors might have caused those changes in the line items over the course of the year from 2011 to 2012?
To get to the statements- you click on About Us first, then financial overview, then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Audited Financial Statements
Hill and Dale Ltd are a long-established retailer selling outdoor clothing and camping equipment from six shops in areas that are popular for walking and climbing. Many of their customers have asked about buying from them over the Internet, and they have therefore realised that they could expand their business by opening an online shop.
1) Produce draft page designs for four different principal pages.
2) Discussing the most important design features on each page.
The draft page designs are to be presented as layout diagrams (i.e. lo-fi designs or wireframes) – you do not have to provide html or php code or produce actual working pages.
You may find it convenient to produce the draft page designs using a graphics editor, a word processor, a desktop publishing package, presentation software or similar.
This assignment involves a “self-analysis” as it relates to the material we covered in this section of the course. In particular, how do the theories and research in Module 3 apply to your own* personality? Answer this question by addressing each of the following:
(1) What evidence can you cite in your own personality that is consistent with the evolutionary psychology approach? That is, how do some of the major theories and research we talked about apply to your own personal case? Once again, be sure to cite relevant constructs.
(2) What evidence can you cite that illustrates the effects of common (shared) and unique (unshared) environmental effects on your own personality? In your opinion, what aspects of the environment had (and have) the greatest impact on you? Why?
(3) Using at least two of the longitudinal studies we covered, apply their concepts and findings to your own case study. In particular, what evidence do you have that is consistent (or inconsistent) with this research?
In answering these questions, be sure to provide a description of your own personality and apply the theories and research to your “personality.” Your paper should be no shorter than 5 pages and no longer than 7 pages. It should be typed and double-spaced
This assignment involves a “self-analysis” of your personality* as it relates to the material we covered in this section (Module 4) of the course. In particular, how do the theories and research in this section of the course apply to your own* personality? Answer this question by addressing each of the following:
(1) Using the two major approaches to the unconscious we talked about (the Freudian & Cognitive/Psychological), apply each approach to yourself. What evidence do you have (from your own personal experience) that supports (or is consistent with) the Freudian view of the unconscious? What evidence do you have that supports (or is consistent with) the Cognitive view of the unconscious? That is, describe instances where you have been influenced by unconscious factors and show how these are related to the two views of the unconscious we talked about.
(2) Choose one of the self-related motives we talked about (consistency or enhancement) and describe actual instances in which your own self/personality demonstrates this motive. Be specific and give details of this motive “in action.” Then, select one of the self-related “traits” we talked about (self-consciousness, self-monitoring, or self-disclosure), indicate where you score on this trait, and describe how it relates to your personality or behavior. Once again, be specific and give actual instances of this trait “in action.”
In answering these questions, be sure to provide a description of your own personality and apply the theories and research to your “personality.”
This assignment must be typed and double-spaced (preferably in Word, .txt, or .rtf format), with the number of pages ranging from 5 (minimum) to 7 (maximum).
Analyze and explain the use of the Exclusionary Rule by the Supreme Court of the United States. Define how the Exclusionary Rule has affected the use of evidence acquired from police search and seizure cases. Compare and contrast each of the following cases and the effects that the ruling decision by the Supreme Court has had on evidence obtained from police search and seizure. What constitutes a reasonable search? How is search and seizure governed by the Fourth Amendment? How do you feel that the police could have completed their searches in these cases more efficiently?
Prepare your case study on the following three cases:
• Weeks v. United States (1914) – Exclusionary rule applied to federal law enforcement agencies
• Rochin v. California (1952) – Exclusionary rule applied to all cases involving extreme police misconduct
• Mapp v. Ohio (1961) – Exclusionary rule applied to all law enforcement agencies (local, state, and federal)
You must include at least 5 references. The entire case study assignment must be written following APA style guidelines. Therefore, the APA rules for formatting, quoting, paraphrasing, citing, and listing of sources are to be followed.
For this assignment, you will come up with a solution to a political problem. You should begin by thinking of (what you think) is the biggest problem facing the country or society in general. Once you have identified a problem, take time to think of the best solution to that problem. Try to be as specific as possible in outlining your policy proposal. In your paper, write each of the questions below (in bold) and then answer them in order. You will be graded on 1) your evidence that a problem exists, 2) how well you identify the benefits and consequences of the policy, 3) the strength of the arguments in favor AND opposed to your policy, and 4) your knowledge of the current political landscape.
Learning and Development is essentially about ‘making things happen’…” (adapted from Reid and Barrington (1999:7). Discuss how far you think this is true in organisations and for individuals. Outline any problems you can identify at both levels
The cost of equity capital for a company is the rate of return on investment required by the company’s shareholders. The rate of return consists of both the dividends and capital gains (e.g., an increase in the share price). The rates of return are expected future returns, not historical returns. Therefore, the returns on equity can be expressed as the anticipated dividends on the shares every year in perpetuity (stream of cash payments that never ends). Thus, the cost of equity is the cost of capital that will equate the current market price of the share with the discounted value of all future dividends in perpetuity.
To complete Part I, review the background material on the capital asset pricing model, the material on the dividend growth model, and arbitrage pricing theory and do some of your own research using Internet search engines and the Cyber Library. These models provide some insights and tools to estimate the rate of return that investors in our company “require” in the sense that if they don’t see the possibility that they will earn that rate of return, they will sell the shares, and that of course will lower the market price per share.
These models use a set of assumptions that are not necessarily tenable.
You are asked by your board of directors to write a report explaining the challenge of estimating or coming up with a good “feel” for the “cost of equity capital” or the rate of return that you feel your company investors require as the minimum rate of return that they expect or require your company to earn on their investment in the shares of the company. There are several asset pricing models used to estimate the cost of equity capital that you have read about for this module in the background materials. After reading through the background materials,
Write a 6-page report for the board of directors (on United Parcel Service “UPS”) by responding to the following questions:
Which of the three models (dividend growth, CAPM, or APT) is the best one for estimating the required rate of return (or discount rate) of UPS? Based on your analysis and findings, what would you recommend to the board of directors of UPS?
In your paper, include discussion of the following issues:
• Ease of use of these three models.
• Accuracy of each of these three models.
• How realistic the assumptions of each model are.
For this paper you need to decisively choose one of these three models to defend to the board of directors.
The cost of equity (discount rate) can also be determined by using the Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM). Calculating the cost of equity using the CAPM model is often more difficult than using the dividend discount model. The companies’ financial statements do not show the cost of equity.
The following table shows necessary (hypothetical) information to calculate the cost of equity by using the CAPM model:
Company Listing RRF RM ßj
Nike Inc. NYSE: NKE 0.65% 7.50% 1.10
Sony Corporation NYSE: SNE 0.65% 10.50% 1.40
McDonald’s Corporation NYSE: MCD 0.65% 9.50% 0.70
E(rj)= RRF + βj (RM – RRF)
E(rj) – The cost of equity
RRF – Risk-free rate of return
ßj – Beta of the security
RM – Return on market portfolio
1) Based on the above information, which company has higher cost of equity? Why? Briefly explain your reasoning.
The CAPM model shows that risk-free rate of return, return on market portfolio, and company beta determine the cost of equity.
What type of factors influence company beta? Briefly describe the factors that influence company beta. For example, higher financial leverage (total liabilities to total assets ratio) can lead to higher company beta.
2) What do you perceive you have learned in this Case Assignment? Which of the following learning outcomes do you feel you have mastered?
• Explain the possible application of the dividend growth model and apply it to estimate the implicit cost of equity of a mature, stable company.
• Understand and explain arbitrage pricing theory and its relationship to the CAPM and dividend growth model.
• Apply the CAPM to estimate the cost of equity of a publicly traded company, or the rate of return that its investors require.
Provide a brief synopsis or conclusion of this assignment.
Note: Proper citations and references are required. You must use the sources below in addition to the sources you find on your own for proper citations and references, and include them all on the references page.
Dividend Growth Models
Investopedia.com (2012). The Gordon growth model. Retrieved May 2012 from http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/gordongrowthmodel.asp
The following reading, though not recent, is still useful:
Pages.stern.nyu.edu (n.d.). Dividend discount models. Retrieved May 2012 from http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/pdfiles/valn2ed/ch13.pdf
The following reading, though not recent, is still useful to understand the dividend growth model:
Clark, T. (2000). Earnings growth and stock returns. Retrieved May 2012 from http://www.dfaus.com/library/articles/earning_growth_stock/
Capital Asset Pricing Model
Investopedia.com (2012). Financial concepts: capital asset pricing model (CAPM). Retrieved May 2012 from http://www.investopedia.com/university/concepts/concepts8.asp
This Article on Investment Analysis is a highly comprehensive overview on measuring risk and the use of the CAPM. This article is a good place to start because it will give you an idea of how the CAPM is used in the “real world” as well as demonstrate the basic concepts of this module.
Valuebasedmanagement.net (2012). Capital asset pricing model (CAPM). Retrieved May 2012 from http://www.valuebasedmanagement.net/methods_capm.html
The following Wikipedia article may also be useful to understand CAPM model:
En.wikipedia.org (2012). Capital asset pricing model (CAPM). Retrieved May 2012 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_asset_pricing_model
To answer Question 1 related to the type of factors that influence company beta, read the following article:
l-Qaisi, K.M. (2011). The economic determinants of systematic risk in the Jordanian capital market. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(20), 85-95. Retrieved May 2012 from http://www.ijbssnet.com/journals/Vol_2_No_20_November_2011/9.pdf
• Describe the purpose of the paper and provide a conclusion. An introduction and a conclusion are important because many busy individuals in the business environment may only read the first and the last paragraph. If those paragraphs are not interesting, they never read the body of the paper.
• Answer the SLP questions clearly and provide necessary details.
• Write clearly and correctly—that is, no poor sentence structure, no spelling and grammar mistakes, and no run-on sentences.
• Provide citations to support your argument and references on a separate page. Use APA format to provide citations and references [http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/].
• Answer all the SLP questions in an essay format. Do not type questions in the paper.
• Type and double-space the paper.