1. There are two ratios which are used to measure airline performance. One measures efficiency while the other measures equipment utilization. Is this sufficient? In 200 – 250 words, describe two other metrics you think airlines should develop to measure performance. Be sure to describe how this data would be collected.
2. Review Case 6-1 outlined in Chapter 6. In 200 – 250 words, address the following question: “Do you think that the decision to lease the locomotives was the best decision for CBN”?
Mitigating Risk in Transportation Costs
Appendix 4A provides a detailed discussion of Cost Concepts in Transportation, including Accounting, Economic and Social costs. Review these costs, and in a 2 – 3 page paper, provide at least one recommendation for each on how a company could potentially mitigate risks associated with these costs. To support your recommendations, search the literature to find 2 articles that discuss these types of risk and potential solutions.
1. Strategic Advantage. In transportation management, one component to explore is how an organization’s transportation activity can help to achieve a strategic advantage for the organization. In a 250-300 word response, answer the following: What steps/actions would an organization take to determine whether the transportation activity has the appropriate internal competencies to achieve competitive advantage.
2. Public Activity. To a great extent, transportation project planning is described as a public activity where purely financial return is not the overriding benefit to be attained. In a 250-300 word response give the reasons why this activity is a major part of the public activity in the U.S. economy.
1. Some of the key issues in supply chain management are obstacles to process integration along the supply chain. Using Table 13.2 in Chapter 13, identify one obstacle that you have encountered in your experience, and how that obstacle could have been avoided.
2. Using the balanced scorecard approach as detailed in Chapter 14 (Figure 14.1), identify 4 key metrics that you would propose for your organization’s supply management system and how you propose to measure those 4 key metrics in your supply chain.
1. Describe the strategic importance of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and discuss how CRM can be used to create customer satisfaction and greater profits for the firm.
2. When making purchasing decisions, should a corporation reduce its ethical standards in order to allow the company to compete internationally? Take a position and defend your answer.
1. What is the value to the company and the supplier in developing and implementing a Supplier Relationship Management (SMS) System? How can such a system provide greater efficiency? Describe the value to the organization.
2. Describe the role of “green” sourcing strategies in logistics design, and how an organization may be affected by this approach.
There are a number of companies that utilize a global supply chain management strategy. Identify and research a company with a successful global supply chain management strategy and provide basic background information. Discuss the strategies this company utilizes to get their product(s) distributed internationally and how they address risks and meet business demands. Document your sources. Write your findings as a two to three page paper formatted according to APA style as shown in the approved style guide.
The company is McDonalds.
. In supply management, one component to explore is how an organization’s supply chain helps to achieve a strategic advantage in the marketplace. What steps/actions would an organization take to determine whether the supply management operation has the appropriate internal competencies to achieve competitive advantage?
2. To a great extent, purchasing and materials management is becoming a strategic business function. Explain why this is true.
Employees often see change as threatening. What are some of the sources of resistance to change, and what can you as a manager do to overcome that resistance? Provide personal examples relating to resistance to change that you have witnessed.
You are a manager for Riordan Manufacturing. You recently administered a series of assessments to your three employees to give you a better understanding of their different traits. You have begun putting together an Employee Portfolio for each employee. Now you must use the information from the assessments to create a Motivational Plan.
Resources: University of Phoenix Material: Employee Portfolio: Motivation Action Plan, Self Assessments from Week One and Week Two Individual Assignment
Determine the motivational strategy or strategies that would likely be most appropriate for each of your three employees based on their individual characteristics, and complete the Motivational Action Plan for each employee. How will you leverage employee evaluations to motivate each of the three employees?
Describe how the strategy selected connects to one or more of the motivational theories described in the text.